Monday, July 04, 2005

language gap...

I drove a friend of mine to MontrĂ©al on Saturday and when I got there it happened to be the weekend of their International Jazz Festival. After I dropped off Amber at the bus station, I thought I would walk around the city a little bit and “explore.” It is such a neat city...I felt like I was in Europe and it was so great to hear people all around me speaking French.

Dale mentioned on a blog that whenever he is in a big city he tries to sit in a coffee shop and talk to people...so I thought I would give it a try. (I’m still not the best at striking up conversations with random people...but I’m trying to get better) So I was sitting outside of a little coffee shop drinking my enduire de caramel (I think it was espresso and caramel?) It was so much fun to just sit and listen to people all around me speaking in french...and all sorts of different languages. There were a lot of tourists there because of the Jazz Festival, so I met people from the Mid East (who had a relative playing in that weekend...did you know there was Arabic Jazz? I didn’t...but this couple played it for me and I loved it...I'm trying to find it on-line right now so I can purchase it), Asia, and several parts of Europe. It really is a neat city and I had such a great time just having conversations with store owners and people who were hanging out watching the different Jazz bands.

The only frustrating thing was the language barrier. I mean...I love hearing other languages, I just wish it did not take so long to learn another language. Wouldn’t it be awesome to just sit down and be able to have an in-depth conversation with someone in French, Swahili, Arabic, German, and Spanish? If someone knows of a brain chip that you could implant in your head that would make you fluent in 20 different languages, please...let me know. =)

In the mean time...I will stick to learning Spanish and as much Swahili as I can. I really want to immerse my children in other cultures and languages from the time they are born. It is so vital that Americans learn a love for other cultures, languages...well, more a love for people and use knowing their culture and languages as the means to connect. I think the attitude that we are Americans and don't "need" anything else from this world is very boxed thinking and it needs to change.

I love America. (By the way, happy Fourth of July...this is one of my favorite holidays.) I love that I live here. I feel amazingly blessed that I was born in a country with such freedom, an abundance of wealth, and the possibility to pursue any dream one can think up. I wouldn't choose to be born into any other country in this world, but the American church needs to become more globally minded. The fact that we have been blessed with so much should drive us to not only accept, but pursue people from all over the world and show them the love they need...our impact on eternity greatly depends on how our worldview shifts over the upcoming years.

6 comments:

Dennis Rogers said...

I think one of the reasons (although there are many other reasons) the American Church has become so inward focused is our insistance on doing church the way we do it. We spend so much of our resources on building and structure that has nothing to do with reaching the world around us. Sure, we put a few dollars of our excess after we tithe toward missions and maybe do a Vacation Bible School or something in the community. But what percentage of the average church dollars go toward being a blessing to ourselves?
I have had this on my heart heavily this morning, before, during, and after my prayer time. I am praying that God will use me in some way to affect change in this area. I have some ideas, but I'm not quite ready to share them publically yet. Please keep it in prayer.

Edward Cross said...

Glad to hear you're having fun!

It's fun thinking of you sitting in a coffee shop with all those different kinds of people. GO DENNAE! LEARN THOSE LANGUAGES!!!

Anonymous said...

I find myself doing the same thing when I'm in a city and know no one. I always end up relaxing somewhere and talking to random people about nothing. You learn a lot about a lot of things that way.

jen said...

that's a tough one, language barriers....i actually love the challenge of trying to think of something to say to a stranger(maybe it annoys some)....but one thing i've learned that is pretty consistent...
people love to talk about themselves...i usually always go from there and then they'll start to open up.....

Brent F said...

It is an old saying that remains consistently true..."With freedom comes responsibility", and America with all it's faults and quirks has a huge responsibility. It is to easy for us as Americans to sit back and just say that 'we have a huge responsibility'...what exactly is America? Is it a landmass that exists between Canada and Mexico? No, America is you and me...America is the people we work with, see at the mall, and run inot at Starbucks...and the responsibility starts with you and I right here to take the opportunities God brings us every day! I think that Church is like that also, thinking as an institution and not as an individual...Christ used 12 men to change the world... without technology per se...why do we do so much less as a church in the world? Maybe we are taking our freedom for granted...and as the parable of the talents shows us, if we take it for granted, it will get taken away!

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about this. In Tepic, I totally experienced this. There were so many people that I connected with, and I didn't even know their language. (Well... I could comunicate with them, but my Spanish is broken and they made fun of me for being a gringo). I got into deep conversations with a few, but it was really hard. I wanted to tell those kids so much, but I have a limitted vocabulary. However, Christ's love is universal, and even those who spoke no Spanish still connected with them because they expressed His love. God's so awesome.
Lauren