Friday, July 01, 2005



This is from Unstoppable Force, by Erwin McMannus:

“As with each individual, there is a difference between living and existing for the church. The life of the church is the heart of God. The heart of God is to serve a broken world. When Jesus wrapped a towel around his waist, he reminded us that only he could wash away our sin. The church cannot live when the heart of God is not beating within her. God’s heartbeat is to seek and save that which is lost. The church exists to serve as the body of Christ, and it is through this commitment to serve that we are forced to engage our culture.
The serving that we are called to requires direct contact. You cannot wash the feet of a dirty world if you refuse to touch it. There is a sense of mystery to this, but it is in serving that the church finds her strength. When she ceases to serve the world around her, she begins to atrophy.”


I read that last week and I have not been able to get the image out of my head of the church, standing up to its waste in dirt and filth and just looking at each other with disgusted looks on their face, unwilling to be the vessels that clean up the mess.
I love the story in John 4 where Jesus goes up to the Samaritan woman and asks her for a drink. Jesus didn’t sit back and wait for this woman to come to Him, He initiated the conversation. The Pharisees and even His disciples sat back and saw this woman as “dirty” they marveled at the fact that Jesus was speaking with a woman...who was a Samaritan, who was an adulteress. But Jesus saw her need and gave her hope of a life filled with more then the every day monotony of the here and now.
Each day we have a choice...serve God or serve ourselves? Make choices that push us toward American “success” or make choices that push people into the arms of their loving Father. I don’t want to be afraid of touching this world...I want to wash their feet.

6 comments:

Edward Cross said...

I need to read that book!

God's been working on this area with me for a few months now. I took a big step a week ago, and I've grown so much since then. I just want God to tell me what to do next!

Edward Cross said...

I was listening to thi CD, and I thought this song was good:

Steven Curtis Chapman \ What Now

I saw the face of Jesus in a little orphan girl
She was standing in the corner on the other side of the world
And I heard the voice of Jesus gently whisper to my heart
Didn't you say you wanted to find me?
Well here I am, here you are

So, What now?
What will you do now that you found Me?
What now?
What will you do with this treasure you've found?
I know I may not look like what you expected
But if you remember this is right where I said I would be
You've found me
What now?

And I saw the face of Jesus down on Sixteenth Avenue
He was sleeping in an old car, while his mom went looking for food
And I heard the voice of Jesus gently whisper to my soul
Didn't you say you wanted to know me?
Well here I am, and it's getting cold

So, What now?
What will you do now that you found Me?
What now?
What will you do with this treasure you've found?
I know I may not look like what you expected
But if you remember this is right where I said I would be
You've found me

So, come and know
Come and know, know me now
Come, come and know, know me now
Come and know
Come and know, know me now
Come, come and know, know me now

What will you do now that you found me?
What now?
What will you do with this treasure you've found?
I know I may not look like what you expected
But if you remember this is right where I said I would be
You've found me
What now?
What now?

Dennis Rogers said...

Good word, Dennae. It is so easy to get wrapped up in our comfortable homes, jobs, and churches and net even see their faces. I often get funny looks from peers, when I simply interact with one of these "least of my bretheren."
BTW, have you read "Blue Like Jazz" yet? I am curious what your reaction would be to the confessional idea.

thankful4adoption.blogspot.com said...

Blue Like Jazz is my next book in "the pile"...still have one more chapter of Unstoppable Force and a coupld more in the Storytelling book...
The more I think and talk to you guys about this "life" thing we're living, the less I really want to hang out with anyone but the wrong crowd...
Eddie, I love that song...thanks for sharing it with us! =)

thankful4adoption.blogspot.com said...

Dale,
I just hope my "sickness" is contagious...yours sure has been for me and my family. Thanks for infecting me...:)
Dennae

Lauren said...

That's great Dennae... I want to touch this world so much in every way possible. This week in Tepic I got to clean people's shoes. It was a really humbling experience!