Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Why Not?

Why Not???

Okay...so here is my challenge to all my friends, co-workers, acquaintances, and family who are currently in college (or just graduated and haven’t made any long-term commitments yet). Take the spring semester off of school and come to Tanzania with me.

I laugh as I say that, because I say it like it is no big deal...but seriously, is it? I mean...sometimes we get so tied down to thinking that we have to get started on our careers or we have to finish school as fast as possible, but for what? Especially those who want to go into “full-time ministry”...what is the rush to get a job at a church? I mean...this would be "full time ministry" What is the rush to get your credentials? Or those of us who want to be lawyers, business men and women, polititians...will it really matter 20 years from now if you started your “career” 6 months latter then you were supposed to?

Can you imagine if ten of us decide to devote three months to non-stop, around the clock, outreach and “missions.” What a great opportunity to touch lives of children across the world or to build relationships/ friendships with Muslims and share the Truth with them. What an incredible chance to tell people who may have never heard the name “Jesus” all about who he is and what he can do for them. What an unbelievable opportunity to hold a child who has lived most of their life sniffing glue on a street to keep their stomach from feeling hungry. America is not this world...the horrors that we expect children to be sheltered from are norms in other countries, what are we going to do about it?

Not only that...but our world-view is so warped... I was thinking this morning how often I use the word “need” and I felt a little nauseous. “Need”...I do not even really know the meaning of that word, I have never had an unmet physical “need” in my life. The only way that our generation has a chance at changing this world is if we can shift our focus from “me” to “them” and from “selfishness” to “selflessness.” There is this Keith Green song that I love that says, “it is so hard to see when my eyes are on me...” how true is that? What are we going to do to get our eyes off of ourselves and onto others? Think about how an experience like this would change our hearts and our eyes/view forever.

Okay...so we are not all going to end up living in third world countries for the rest of our lives. But why not for a small period of time? What is three months in light of eternity? It is just three months. Will you miss your friends and family? Of course. Will it be difficult and lonley at times...probably. But if not now, then when? If you don’t make the time to do something like this...it isn’t going to just happen.

So it cost a lot of $...but there are so many things we could live without for the next 6 months to save for it. So our family thinks its crazy and irresponsible to take time off of school...I think God would be totally cool with it. So we haven’t “audibly” heard from God that we should do this...umm, wait...I think there is something at the end of Matthew 28? We want to wait and see if the door is opening up for us (creek...hear that sound? That is the sound of the door opening up for you =))

Okay...enough rambling. I am only challenging you to this because I think something like this could change us in a way that would bring about change to this world. I think we all need a bigger dose of passion and compassion...and what better way to get it then from putting ourselves in a situation where we can see first hand how great the need is in this world and how we can be used by God to touch it. So pray about it...think about it...email me about it and I will pray with and for you...and if it isn’t Tanzania in January, then pray and plan on serving somewhere soon (before life gets too committed and too crazy) somewhere outside of the good ol’ USA. I think each of us really should spend some amount of time outside of what we have always known to be true here in America...it would do the world (and America) SO much good to see what most of this world is living with day in and day out. If anything, it will give you experiences that you can use right here in Arizona, Rhode Island, and everywhere in between to reach people.

Email me if you want the information. Here are some web sites to check out too:
www.pureopportunity.blogspot.com
www.emmanuelcenter.blogspot.com

12 comments:

Edward Cross said...

I wish I could come with you guys Dennae. :( I really do. I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunities later though.

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how awesome the idea sounds to me...unfortunately, my school starts in spring.

Unknown said...

Wow now you're recruiting through blogs.... lol! Some day my time will come to be there... and I will think of you the entire time! Love you! Thanks for being such a great friend!

revhipchick said...

thanks for that! it really spoke to me. i'm not sure what i can do with it right here and now, but thank you.

Dennis Rogers said...

Here's a question for anyone who is indecisive about answering your challenge: Are you more likely to regret not doing this 20 years from now or more likely to regret doing it? Don't let the little obstacles of life get in your way. I guarentee you, later in life, you will wish you did not miss this opportunity. JUST DO IT!!!

Edward Cross said...

I can't Dennis! I have to go to schooL! :P

Brent F said...

Wow...Lots of comments going on here...So I get to throw my 2 cents in ;-) If you are in College, take a semester off! If you are in High School, do all you can to talk with you guidance counsellor to "study abroad" for 3 months (or go to summer school next summer to make up for it) If your school starts in March, go for January and Feburary, so what I am saying is go! Do all you can to get there...the need is so great, and the opportunity is so overwhelming, that I promise that your life will be changed. My wife and I felt the same as you all who said "I have responsibilities", we actually said to ourselves last July, "when Aaron is 15 and Cole is 10, that is when we will go on our family missions trip" only to go this past Feburary, taking both our 6 and 11 year old with us! I can honestly say, that the Lord met us each and every day, and we will never be the same. When we returned we asked ourselves. "Why didn't we do this sooner?" and honestly,"how soon can we do it again?" It is like nothing else in the world. James 1:29 says this "Pure religion is this...feed the orphans, and visit the widows" it is that plain and simple...Jesus also put it this way in Mathew 28 "Go into all the world..." so why don't we at every opportunity given to us?

Lewis and Jill Omari said...

Wow, this is incredible!!
Leonard Ravenhill once said "You must sieze the opportunity of a lifetime, in the lifetime of that opportunity"

I recently found out that my bible school closed down. A place that was so dear to my heart, some of the most preciuos moment of my walk where experienced there. I learned and grew up alot.
The Pastors that i lived and work with during my season of internship in Alaska, just recently moved to the lower 48. Again there were lifelong freindships built there.
Over the past several years, the congregation in which I use to worship with has changed so drastically.

Today, there is a remnant from every season in my life, every place in my past, and everywhere that I have lived THAT EFFECTS WHO I AM RIGHT NOW.

With change being a constant, nothing is guareented for tommorrow. I personally am very very very excited about what God is doing here.

I want to encourage anyone who feels like they are not "ready" or know enough yet. That you ALWAYS feel that way, so don't let that hold you back or slow you down.


If you are curiuos about this opportunity, just contact Dennae to ask about it. NO PRESSURE.
It's going to be fun, different, full of adventure and eye opening experiences.
We will be working along side of the believers here in Tanzania. You will gain life long freinds on this trip, it is unavoidable.


........It'll be worth it all.....

Edward Cross said...

I don't think it's possible for me to go, really. I had the idea of just not having a half day this year and taking my spring classes in the fall, but I'm already signed up for classes at a community college for the rest of the day. And I can't make up my classes in the summer...because I won't be in school anymoe! heh. If you guys have any other ideas of how I could still go, let me know.

Unknown said...

Way to stir up the blogging crowd!

Brent F said...

Ed, noone said you have to go for the full 3 months...anything you can do will help...just think about it!

Lauren said...

I completly accept your challenge! Of course I cannot go with you THIS January, because I'll still be in highschool. However, I know that I want to take my fist year out of college off, and give it to missions. There are so many places I want to go... so if anything, you can come with me next August. :)