Thursday, July 21, 2005

I read this in a book called “Experiential Storytelling” by Mark Miller:

“What if we were to take our message and begin speaking the language of the natives? Instead of telling people Jesus is the light of the world, what if we showed them the stark difference between light and darkness?
What if we removed all the argumentative language, replaced it with beautiful narratives, and let people feel the power of the story? Instead of trying to convince people to accept a list of spiritual laws, how about placing individuals in the story, allowing them to learn and interact with God’s character? What if we told our story in a holistic manner engaging all of the God-given senses? What if...?”

I had to re-read that paragraph a few times. It was very powerful to me. Telling people about Jesus is so powerful and such an important part of pushing God’s kingdom forward. But when you match up telling people, with showing people, I think the impact you make is so much greater.

But as I read that paragraph over again, I could not help but ask how many Christians are able to show the world “the stark difference between light and dark?” Do we even know how stark of a difference it really is? How are we really able to speak in beautiful narratives...in a way that people can feel the power of the story?

I know this is really basic, but it all comes down to knowing and understanding the word of God. We can try as hard as we can to learn the “lingo” of our time and read book after book about all the different cultures in our midst, but if we do not have a love for God’s word, how can we possible tell the Story to those we encounter as if it were real?

I love to read, it does not really matter the genre, but something different happens to me when I read God’s word. I cannot even compare my experience to reading any normal book to my experience of reading the scriptures. The bible is so alive to me. It is almost like a living, breathing organism. As I read different passages of scripture I feel drawn into the stories, into the lives of the men who were used to write the passages. As I read the Gospels, I imagine myself following Jesus around and sitting at his feet, hearing his teaching. I play out the battle scenes and stories in my head like I was watching them in a movie theater. As I read God’s word my heart is captivated and my soul feels so charged, at home, at rest.

We need to speak the language of the natives. Do you know what they want? They want to hear something authentic. Something real. Its time for us to engage the Story with all of our God-given senses. Its time for to fall passionately in-love with God so we can stop talking about God and start talking like we know Him.

So...question for those who want to share. Do you remember a time when reading God’s word shifted from a “to-do” to something that you were passionate about?

12 comments:

david huffman said...

If you take the Gospel message into a village where there are few people who grasp the idea of the Bible and tell them Biblical truths, they won't listen for very long.

If you contextualize the message through stories and word images and acting it out, they stay, they listen, then they grasp the ideas and they give their lives to Christ.

It is necessary to go beyond the "old way" of doing things, but it is imperitive to marry the new way with Scriptures. Don't give them an image then leave them with little else.

nice post Dennae

david huffman said...

Like I said earlier, it goes beyond the ability to give beautiful narratives and the painting of stunning mental images. We can't just leave them with something nice. We must give them something life-changing.

Jesus' use of parables had a two-fold effect. #1 it satisfied those who wanted to listen to a good story- those who were following Jesus just to see a miracle- like so many people in the pews today. #2 it caused those people to move off so that those what really wanted to know more could stay and implore the meanings to the stories. To get more out of the teachings.

For the world-wide renown of His sovereign glory...

Edward Cross said...

I was just thinking the same thing as David up there...that you just have to make sure it's not just a story, that it still contains those Biblical truths.

thankful4adoption.blogspot.com said...

I didn't mean at all that we should tell stories and take out the biblical truth. I was trying to say how important it is for God's word to become alive in our lives. As it becomes part of our everyday story, it becomes something that is so easy to share with others.

Anonymous said...

Dennae,
When your quote talked about showing the difference between light and darkness, I wondered: how do we do that, how do we show the difference. Instantly I thought of a line from a spoken word done at Sanctuary; "holiness that hurts". And this holiness isn't about what you don't do, but it's about what you DO do. Like radically living out what Jesus taught, that would be a stark difference from the way of the world.
To answer your question, spending time reading the Bible became full of life as I spent more time with God in prayer, worship, service; stuff like that. But being at a Bible College, and systematically studying it for a test has made it easier for me to lose that whole part of walk with God. I find that when I'm totally enthrathed with the person of Jesus is when the Word comes alive; if I'm passionate about what God is doing, then I'm going to be passionate about God's word!

This a song a friend of mine wrote that hits hard on this! enjoy:
"I'm tired of my religion
Keeping me from You
I'm tired of my theoligies, idolatries
Keeping me from You
I'm tired of going to church
And walking away unchanged
I'm tired of going through the motions
I need You

Your'e more than a song
Words on a page
Spiritual hype and emotional rage
More than devotions
Putting in time
To check it off the checklist of my religous shrines

Bring me back to my first love
Teach me how to just sit at Your feet
And listen to Your voice as You speak to me" - Megan Bream; More Than a Song

Edward Cross said...

Sorry for misunderstanding you Dennae! :)

It's funny, because today during my devotionals I just happened to be on Matthew 13! Haha, it definitely involved this topic.

Brent F said...

I loved that image that Dale spoke of as "Romance". When I think of romance, I think of pursuit. God is pursuing us, drawing us closer, and loving us each step of the way. How many of us have hidden that piece of candy behind our backs for a child...and put it in the palm of one hand and played that game where the child has to pick the hand to get the candy? And if the child doesn't pick the right hand you play the game again, and again...just to see the child smile and laugh? Isn't that what Jesus was doing, wooing us and piquing our curiosity...

Unknown said...

MISS YOU ALREADY..... =(

david huffman said...

no doubt

revhipchick said...

dennae--great insights and questions, you have a terrific blog. and i love reading all of the discussion it arouses. thanks!

Unknown said...

MISS YOU....I hope you had an awesome time! Love you!

Lauren said...

Yes... that is SO true! A while I ago, I had a hard time when I would do my devotions. When I became PASSIONATE for God, everything changed. Now I can't get enough of His Word! He teaches me new things every day. It even changed my view of my bible class in school, rather than tedious work and time to sleep, it became incredibly interesting and another way to learn more about Christ. I'm not sure where I was going with that... but great post! :)