Friday, July 29, 2005

I am in Honduras right now. It is so beautiful here. Definitely a unique beauty...not like anything I have ever experienced before. I hope to be posting several stories over the next few days about this past week.

I had no idea what to expect when I got on the plane to come here. I was definitely excited to come to Central America, but I thought it was going to be kind of a ¨puposeless¨week...most people go to third world countries to serve and do missions, and I was coming to spend a week on a beautiful beach. I thought the extent of my opportunity would be to spend time with my grandfather and share with him more about my faith. I could not have been more wrong.

I have more family living in Honduras then I have living in the United States, but I never knew it. I knew I had some second cousins, great uncles, and so forth...but from the moment I have arrived here I have been surrounded by people who treat me like I am their long lost daughter. It has been such a powerful experience for me to get to know all of my family, to walk into a room and see people who look so much like me, and to hear story after story about what my grandfather and grandmother were like growing up. I feel very...at home.

I don´t have time to tell many stories right now...but I will post some soon.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

I know what you mean! I had the same feelings before too. It was really cool walking into a room full of people we've never met that looked just like us. It was so amazing how accepting they were to us!

Edward Cross said...

That sounds so cool Dennae!

Anna, Eric and I just got back from Pax's house in California...it was great!

david huffman said...

i think it's awesome when we can arrive somewhere God takes us when we expect one thing, and He changes it into something incredibly different and it feels like home.

i look forward to hearing more when i talk to you later.

for the world-wide renown of His sovereign glory...

Unknown said...

Missed you while you were gone... love you!

Dennis Rogers said...

It was an amazing trip, Dennae, and I am so glad we did it together. God did some amazing things and it was incredible to connect with all that family. I believe we also set up some huge future opportunities with the connections we made there.
However, don't be so quick to write off the value of purposefull rest. I still believe that was the main reason we took the trip. God has designed our bodies, minds and souls to need rest. Most people are not purposeful about their rest, as they are not purposeful about their activity. There is something about taking time to just relax with no agenda and being with the ones we love that brings a refreshing and recharge for the next battle.
Of course, even during those times of rest, God will use us to share our faith and love on others, because that is part of who we are. I love you, my friend, and can't wait to have you home for a short season!

Unknown said...

I am so gonna miss you... its only been like 4 days and I already wish you were back here... what am I going to do with out you????? (I'm glad we "talked" at the beach the other day)

Unknown said...

"God bless the broken road, that lead me straight to you..." =/

Hopefully it will lead back to being able to hang out on a regular basis some time soon.... I am so gonna miss you! I think I might cry about it! Love you!