Thursday, July 14, 2005

The comments from the last post really stirred my heart and mind. I would like to comment on several things said...

Starting with David’s comments. I love that scripture in James, “Pure and Undefiled Religion is this...” I believe with my whole heart that we are called to go and do everything within our means to impact this world for eternity. We cannot leave the job to someone else—God has entrusted it to each of us who desire to follow Him.

It isn’t about “doing” just for the sake of “doing.” It is about living a life devoted to something much greater and more important then “self.” The comment was made that people get busy with church. I love what Dennis (my dad) said in his comment: “Let's not be busy for the sake of business. Let's rather make sure our lives have significance because we are pouring them into the lives of others and reaching the lost with the awesome good news.” Isn’t that what it all comes down to? Are we going to live a life gratifying and fulfilling the desires of “self” or are we going to spend our lives spreading the Gospel?

Here is what it all boils down to for me:

“For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps.” 1 Peter 2:21

So is it this “must do” approach just part of the “rich and powerful” American mindset? I don’t believe it is. I think that mindset is evident in Christ as He walked His final days on earth. I do not believe that God would have provided a Savior for our souls if in His heart He did not have the “must do” mindset. He loved us so much, that no matter the cost...He was going to give each of us an opportunity to spend eternity with Him. As each of us makes a decision to follow in Christ’s steps we must also choose the same. The more we fall in-love with our Lord, the more we will fall in love for His children. As we “have the mind of Christ Jesus” take shape within our own minds...we will begin to have a deeper and clearer understanding that there is no other option then to offer the Truth to this world, no matter the cost is to self.

I also understand what Madcupmum was saying about the Gate. I think you were saying that Christ is the one who will guide us, like a shepherd gently guides his sheep, through the gate. If the “break down the door” analogy seems too harsh, then the other analogy works just as well. (Just to clarify things...that analogy was never meant to mean we should go Westernize the world...that is the last thing we should do. It just means that whatever barriers exist that we are capable of removing by us being pliable and flexible...then lets move them).

What do you think it is about the shepherd that causes the sheep to trust him? I read once that a shepherd touches each and every sheep as he enters his gate each night and speaks to the sheep. That is why the sheep recognize and now the voice of their master. It is his loving hand, his loving touch. How much more can we follow in Christ’s steps then by offering our loving hand to this world so that through us they might feel the loving and healing touch of their Father?

My “missions trip” doesn’t start when I get off that plane in Tanzania no more then it ends when Allison and Lauren come back from Mexico. My life is a mission...this is a race and I have to decide each and every morning if I am going to run it with all of my heart, soul, and mind. My “mission” is to reveal the heart of my Father to every person who God allows to cross my path...

17 comments:

david huffman said...

Wow, I'm stunned. What's left to say except, amen! Preach it sistah!

Edward Cross said...

Definitely getting me thinking!

Dennae's amazing! :D

Dennis Rogers said...

Good words Dennae. There isn't much I can add to that. This "blogger thing", as supercole puts it, is really bringing out the writer in you. I love you and am so excited to see you in just about 8 days!!!!!

Brent F said...

If the Bible shows us anything,it's that God, from the beginning of time, is pursueing us! And if we are to have the mind of Christ...we are to go and pursue others with the passion of Jesus..well said Dennae!

Unknown said...

All I know is I love JESUS! (well and dennae of course)

Unknown said...

how do i add the links????

david huffman said...

dennae, i once heard leonard ravenhill tell the story of the death of john wesley.

though he died as probably the most notable minister in history; he was also one of the brightest luminaries of his time, he died with nothing more than the clothes he was wearing his preaching cloak, a silver tea pot and six silver spoons. at one point, just before his death, he had sold his very suitcase and the rest of his clothes to make another journey.

his burial request was that he be buried in his cloak, that the teapot be sold to pay for his funeral, and that the six silver spoons be given to his pallbearers. his final request was that wherever he died, that the officiating pastor would go and find the six poorest men he could find to be the pallbearers.

john wesley, even in his death, gave glory and honor to God. his last actions and the final actions made on his behalf were acts of giving. he died with nothing except his Treasure.

c.t. studd, a missionary to the interior of africa, the priviledged son of a british lord and england's greatest cricket player of all time, at 70+ years old, called his daughter into his home and told her he had something for her. he disappeared into his room for a long time, then, reappeared at the door with a sheepish grin on his face. he explained it this way: "i'm sorry dear, i have nothing to give you; i gave it all to God a very long time ago..."

one more quote then i'm done, i promise...

"i have only one desire. it is Him; only Him." -
count nicholas ludwig vin zinzendørf

Unknown said...

Dennea... my heart hurts! I need more smiles from people like you and allie.... love you!

Unknown said...

here's that link to my friend's who are in love with Africa....
http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=RACHELELIZ
Her name is Rachel.... and they are an awesome family...

Love you... thanks for tonight... i needed it! =)

Christine Fooks said...

...thanks for that Dennae
Reading Dale's comment made me think... The Lord has given Brent and I an opportunity to be involved with a group of people who do not know Him and the times when I have struggled with "wanting my own time" is when I'm uncomfortable and I just want to (being honest here, tell people off) but God leads me to stay uncomfortable and (keep my mouth shut; until He gives me the grace to speak)...when we obey He ALWAYS shows up...We have gained some awesome friends and are able to share Christ...
I thank Him for renewing my love for people and giving me His strength...
Dennae, when are you starting your book?

david huffman said...

yeah, Dennae, when are you going to stop slacking at get to writing that book?

Edward Cross said...

Yeah Dennae, when are you going to write that book?

...what book? :/

david huffman said...

bro, the one that she's writing...

Edward Cross said...

No one ever told me about it. :(

Lauren said...

I can't wait to read it. :) Wow... you're amazing Dennae! I don't even have a comment other than "amen sister!" You're so incredible and I miss you SO much!! I can't wait to see you in 6 days!! I love you!!

Dennis Rogers said...

OK, so it's mine turn to get you back. You need to post again!

Anonymous said...

hey nae my betta died 2 days ago
it stinks!!!!!!! i cant wait to
see you again. i just got home.
you Rock!!!!!!!!!!