Saturday, June 10, 2006

culture shock?



The question I keep getting asked by everyone is, "Are you experiencing culture shock coming back to the states?"

For the past few weeks I have been answering, "no." In some ways, I was prepared to re-enter my world here. I was looking forward to seeing friends and catching up on life. It was so hard to leave, but I was excited to come home too. It was very bitter-sweet getting back on the plane.

The other question I keep getting asked is, "Is it hard to be back." Up until a few days ago, it hasn't been. But the past few days I have really just been missing my life in Tanzania. I miss the boys so much. I miss the incredible friends that I left behind. I miss working with my team. I miss the pace of life, the culture, hearing swahili, running through the bananna fields, the crazy driving, going into different villages and playing with kids, laying in the grass talking with the Emmanuel Center boys and hearing their laughs, rocking on the swing on the front porch and watching the sun set, the hard rains. I even miss the mud, not knowing if their was going to be electricity when I flipped the switch, not knowing when my next shower might be...

As I sit down to "catch up" with friends and family, I don't know where to begin when talking about my time and experience there. And I don't want to be one of those annoying people that went on a missions trip once and suddenly every story she tells comes back to, "when I was in..."

I am very happy to be home. I see Phoenix with fresh eyes and I have a renewed passion to pour love into the lives of those who need it here. I know that my steps are ordered by God and he has me here, in this moment, for a divine purpose. But God opened up a well of emotions within me while I was in Africa that I didn't know existed and anytime God does that in my life it is always to move me towards action. I guess that is the question right now, what do I do with everything the Lord spoke to me and taught me these last five months?

I talked to my friend John yesterday, he was there with me my entire time. He described his emotions of being home as feeling "restless." Maybe that is a better way to explain how I am feeling. The "restless" feeling doesn't necessarily mean I am packing my bags and going back, but it does mean that God is doing something within me that will require action and change.

3 comments:

Brent F said...

Yup...that restlessness is what keeps you moving, figutively and physically...in the direction God wants you to go. As I read thru my Bible, I see that God is contantly calling His people to movement...Abraham, Moses, David (in and out of the wilderness) the judges and prophets, Jesus (the perfect example of movement in Phil. 2:4-8), Paul...all were called to movement. God has a purpose in this movement...before Christ it was to prepare the world for Him. After Christ, it is to reconcile the world to Him. I know you can now physically see the "pursuit" of God...how He actively pursue's mankind. And now I know, as I think you do, that Paul's writings about a "race" are not merely metaphor, but actual race like movement...

May God be your sustinence and His grace your rest...and may His love lead and guide you on your next "movement".

Meaghan Maples said...

i couldn't have said it beter myself! i cant wait to see you... its the only remedy (next to jesus) to help me with my culture shock and its worth every flippin dollar! besty!!

thankful4adoption.blogspot.com said...

uncle brent, I couldn't say it any better...you are soooo right. It is exciting to really be able to see how God is moving us forward with the divine purpose of reconciling this world to him. How amazing that God would use us in His divine plan and purpose!