Friday, September 18, 2009

The Normal Christian Life, part 3

2. The hot and cold vs. lukewarm Christian

“I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked…” Revelation 3:15-17

Dr. Carson preached a sermon in which he discussed archeological evidence from Laodicea that brought such new and wonderful insight into this passage for me. The town directly north of Laodicea was known for having hot springs that produced fresh, hot water and the town directly south of Laodicea was known for having delicious, cold water. Laodicean’s water source came from the Lycus River, which was muddy and undrinkable—so the town had aqueducts that brought water from the hot springs five miles away. This produced lukewarm, disgusting water. There are even extra-biblical historical writings (see Josephus) where Alexander the Great wrote a letter to a friend mocking how how disgusting the water tasted in Laodicea.

Too often, Christians explain this passage to mean that there are three options when it comes to the Christian life: 1) be hot (meaning committed/on fire) 2) be cold (meaning distant/uncommitted) or 3) be lukewarm. We often describe the first two as acceptable to God and the third as unacceptable. This is not what was being said to the Laodicean church. What was being said was: I wish that you were either hot or cold (or useful for drink), but since you are not, I will spew you out of my mouth. There are not 3 options, but 2 options. This passage is not a pass to be a “cold” or distant believer for a season of life. This passage is not a statement that within the church you will find three types of believers and it is okay for some of us to be “cold” while those special leaders can be “hot/on fire.” This passage is a warning that you and your church are to be useful to the kingdom of God.

If we find ourselves living lukewarm lives, then we need to seek the Lord to make us “hot/cold.” The rest of this passage in revelation continues and says:

“…I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.”

No comments: