Saturday, October 08, 2005

Just “skimming” through the news tonight…some pretty heavy headlines.

Quake Kills More Than 3,000 in South Asia

Mudslides, Floods in Guatemala Kill 500

Is it ever hard for any of you to stay focused? It is for me. It does not take much to convince me that there are so many broken people in need of God’s healing touch. Everywhere I look, I see physical, spiritual, and emotional need. I just want to be in the place that God can use me the most to impact his kingdom the most. It is easy for me to get overwhelmed sometimes, to look at all the hurt and pain and know that many will never know the power in God’s touch.

So as I was praying today about what is going on all over the world…from the people closest to me…to those in our country who have lost everything from Katrina, to Guatemala, to South Asia…I began to get discouraged as to how God can use me to reach those individuals who are experiencing incredible devastation right now.

Then I read this amazing passage of scripture…

1 Peter 4:8-11

But the end of all things is at hand; therefore be serious and watchful in your prayers. And above all things have fervent love for one another, for "love will cover a multitude of sins." Be hospitable to one another without grumbling. As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

That passage blew me away. So what can I do? What can we do?

Be serious and watchful in our prayers.
Above all things—have a fervent love for one another.
Use the gifts God gave us…minister them to one another…
Speak on behalf of God, minister under the ability which God supplies
SO THAT in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ.
What an intense “crash” the church would become if we did that?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

wow... people are so similar... lol! Love you... talk to you soon! (I hope)

Edward Cross said...

It is hard to stay focused. We just have to keep praying and reminding ourselves how important it is to not let our priorities shift to other, less meaningful things.

I loved that passage! Again, it's all about love! :)

Love you Dennae!

david huffman said...

i've been thinking about this for the past few days... how to be serious and stay serious. how sometimes our seriousness is viewed by some to be too religious and by others as being too caught up in the moment... yeah, i've been thinking about it for the past few days...

it doesn't amaze me at how so many people died in a moment or how their lives were taken in an instant. what does amaze me is that i'm still here. and that simple fact causes me to consider God and His patience and His mercy and His love. and the desire to not waste my life burns within me. but it's not a burning like the wildfires in california, where the fire moves with the wind and leaves devestation in it's path; it's more like lava. continuously heating up until it must find it's release- and the only way out is up.

hmm... the only way out is up...

for the world-wide renown of His sovereign glory...

James Hauptman said...

Preach Dennae...
That's some good stuff

david huffman said...

hey dennae.

tonight, more than ever, i really needed to hear what God spoke through you in this post.

thank you.

i hope to talk with you soon.

david

Unknown said...

Prayer is a powerful thing... I think I loose sight of that all to often... thankfully I was reminded of it while I skimmed your post today (again)!

Oh and I miss you so much! Seriously I wish I could come see you or you come here or something! I hate that you understand me so well and can read me so well after what 2 months... Miss you! =/

Karlene said...

Awesome, makes me want to memorize I Peter 4:8-11. Time is so precious .... to affect one more soul for Jesus!!!!
Love you!

Unknown said...

Hey... i'm haning out with the swinburne kids... =)

[Miss you]

Unknown said...

uggg... I miss you so much... you have no idea! =/

DEC 26 is way too far away... =/

Unknown said...

MISS YOU!

david huffman said...

tag- you're it. you need to post!!

Unknown said...

I feel like its been forever... =/

12-26 get here sooner.... =)